Author Archive for Brandicoot

Snail Pellets

snailThe snails are out and about again….There are no “pet safe” snail pellets! NEVER use them if you have pets. They cause shaking, fitting, salivation and diarrhea, among other signs, and can easily kill a dog or cat. If your pet is affected, seek veterinary attention immediately.  Phone 9795 8080

Rat Poison

Rat poison ingestion will not cause any immediate illness. It takes 2-3 days to stop the blood’s clotting ability, and they then begin bleeding internally, which will cause death if left untreated. If you see them eating the bait, inducing vomiting can sometimes remove the poison before it is absorbed. Otherwise, a blood test after 2 days will show if the blood is clotting or not and treatment can be begun. The length of time they need treatment varies with the brand of bait, so it is important to know this for the vet’s information.