SNAKE PROOF YOUR DOG 2017 TRAINING DATES
Saturday: 23rd and Sunday 24th September 2017 and Saturday October 21st and Sunday 22nd 2017
Dr Felicity Harradine has organised for Animal Ark Wildlife Education and training to visit. This event will be held at Harradine and Associates. Last year Animal Ark ran a training course at Harradine and Associates. It was so interesting watching David Manning and Ziggy Nielsen at work. We had many dogs come through over the 2 days. We defiantly saw amazing results with every dog that went through.
This course is a must for any dog owner. Ring 9795 8080 to book your spot.
We teach your dog to avoid snakes “Snake proof” your dog
Many hundreds of dogs are bitten by snakes every year and sadly many die. If your dog survives the bite it can cost thousands of dollars at the vets for antivenom treatment. Data is hard to come by but Murdoch Vet Hospital, in their catchment area only, treated between 76 and 137 dogs for snakebite a year from 2007-2010.
Snake avoidance training for your dog is now available in WA through Animal Ark.
Our training is quick and effective. We use a low-level static correction collar to achieve this. This enables your dog to learn that close proximity to the interesting object (a snake) will be unpleasant and thus creates a negative association. This teaches the dog to make it’s own decision to avoid snakes and the unpleasant reaction in the future.
It is very important that we use real venomous snakes under strictly controlled situations, as these are the dangerous species we want your dog to avoid. Fortunately we are very good with both snakes and dogs and are fully licensed with the Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaW) in WA to deliver wildlife education.
All the feedback for snake avoidance, or snake aversion, training shows that it works. Dogs vary hugely in learning ability. Retraining is advised every year for 2/3 years by which time most dogs have a thorough snake avoidance, snake proofing, education.
This practical, life saving training comprises:
- One-on-one training
- Training style briefing
- Snakebite facts
- First aid for your dog
- Practical avoidance sessions with live non-venomous and venomous snakes
- Local snake species used for the training
- Strict safety protocols followed for snake handling
- Suitable for any dog over 6 months old
- Not suitable for aggressive dogs
- Training session usually takes less than an hour Trainer David Manning works with a variety of wildlife and is a registered wildlife rehabilitator. As a professional herpetologist David delivers DPaW endorsed venomous snake handling and awareness training to companies and individuals throughout WA. “With my background in training and supplying animals for film and TV production, animal welfare and safety is always our highest priority.” – David Manning $195 inc GST per dog.
- REFRESHER TRAINING – $85 inc GST.
- Photo: David Manning with his co-star presenting a dog safety programme in Auckland some years ago.
- David’s company Animal Ark used to train and supply a huge variety of dogs for film, television and photographic work in the UK.
If you want to find out more check their website: www.animalark.com.au or phone 9243 3044
Below are some of the participants from 2016