Easter is nearly here. (Be careful with your chocolate)

Dogs have an excellent sense of smell, making it fairly easy for them to find any secret stash you may have.

Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao, which contains certain properties that can be toxic to animals: caffeine and theobromine. If ingested, these two ingredients can also lead to various medical complications and may even prove fatal for your dog.

Symptoms may include Vomiting and diarrhoea, Increased body temperature and reflex responses, rapid breathing and increased heart rate, Seizures.

Advanced signs are seizures, cardiac failure and coma.

The amount and type of chocolate ingested is also important, as there the types of chocolate ingested. Dark chocolate being the worst type to ingest.

If you think your dog has eaten chocolate in any form, please don’t hesitate to ring your vet and get your dog into the practice as soon as possible.