Archive for News – Harradine & Associates

Snake Season

Ducklings on the march!

?? Quack Alert ??
It’s that time of year again and Mumma Duck will be out on parade with her ducklings!
We’ve had a few handed into the clinic of late who have wandered off and got lost (whom later were reunited with their parents and subsequently got into a lot of quacking trouble for running off!)
Our best advice if you find some ducklings is to make sure to keep an eye and an ear out for their parents, who hopefully won’t be far away. If they are getting attacked by birds or look injured then contact your local clinic for assistance ?

Jump the Queue!

If your pet is on regular medication and it looks like you’re getting low, save the wait and get your repeat order in with our Vets before you run out!

Most medications are not simply an over the counter purchase and we need time to get the Vet to review, approve and make up the medication for you. By calling ahead of time we can ensure you won’t run out of your pets vital medications.

Simply call the team at either of our clinics to put in your request.

Cycads, Zamia and Sago Palm Toxicity

Unfortunately we have had an increase in the number of dogs ingesting these potentially deadly plants. All parts of these plants are poisonous, especially the seeds. These seeds contain large amounts poison called cycasin. It does not take much of this seed to result in the poisoning of pets sometimes only 2 seeds will cause gastrointestinal issues, possible liver failure and affect the central nervous system. even death.

Dogs typically present with non specific signs such as vomiting and lethargy, changes in the urine and possible liver failure. These signs are obviously non-specific to the ingestion of the seeds.

Unfortunately the survival rate for Cycad, Zamia and Sago palm poisoning in dogs is not very high. Long term recovery could be further complicated by chronic liver failure.

If you have any of these plants in your garden, play it safe and remove them.

With any poisoning the sooner you get your pet  veterinary attention the better.

Snail Pellets

snailThe snails are out and about again….There are no “pet safe” snail pellets! NEVER use them if you have pets. They cause shaking, fitting, salivation and diarrhea, among other signs, and can easily kill a dog or cat. If your pet is affected, seek veterinary attention immediately.  Phone 9795 8080