Unfortunately we have had an increase in the number of dogs ingesting these potentially deadly plants. All parts of these plants are poisonous, especially the seeds. These seeds contain large amounts poison called cycasin. It does not take much of this seed to result in the poisoning of pets sometimes only 2 seeds will cause gastrointestinal issues, possible liver failure and affect the central nervous system. even death.
Dogs typically present with non specific signs such as vomiting and lethargy, changes in the urine and possible liver failure. These signs are obviously non-specific to the ingestion of the seeds.
Unfortunately the survival rate for Cycad, Zamia and Sago palm poisoning in dogs is not very high. Long term recovery could be further complicated by chronic liver failure.
If you have any of these plants in your garden, play it safe and remove them.
With any poisoning the sooner you get your pet veterinary attention the better.