Common toxic/poisonous risks to pets

Here is a quick reference guide to the more common foods and other substances that may be toxic to most animals. Although it is impossible to list all poisons.

If you are concerned you pet has eaten something toxic. Try to note the time it was ingested or exposed to the product or food. The type of product, brand name, ingredients etc.  or (bring the packaging in). This will enable our vets to treat your pet accordingly. Ring our practice to let our vet know you are coming in and  head on in ASAP.

Lilies- ( In cats) Eating any part of the plant causes irreversible kidney failure.

Chocolate- Especially dark chocolate. Chocolate contains Theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and diuretic. This can be fatal to dogs.poisonSign

Rat poisoning- Causes uncontrollable bleeding and convulsions.

Snail pellets- Cause convulsions and vomiting.

Mouldy food- Can cause the same food poisoning that we humans can get.

Insecticides-in particular, dog flea products should never be used on cats.

Antifreeze/radiator coolant.

Petroleum products.

Household cleaning products.

1080 (“fox”) baits ( never allow your dog to eat ANYTHING in national parks)

Alcohol- Beverages of any kind plus ethanol, isopropyl etc. could lead to coma or even death.

Caffeine- Coffee, coffee grounds, tea and soft drinks are dangerous do to the caffeine consent.

Xylitol-(artificial sweeteners) Sugar-free foods containing Xylitol artificial sweetener in some gums and  lollies. It may cause liver failure in dogs and should be avoided.

Potato peelings and green potatoes- Contains oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous and urinary systems.

Marijuana- Can cause lethargy, coma and seizures.